[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Quiz 8 #3

Quiz 8 #3

Introduction to UNIX/Linux

Quiz 8 #3

Postby janet tuma on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am

Sorry, I'm back again. For the third quiz question I'm now having second thoughts. I know that in "sort dognames > dogsinorder" "dognames" is an argument to sort, which now is aware of it and opens it to gather what it needs. Slide 57 addresses this question. But to choose between answers b) the command line and c) opening and reading the file dognames for "where is sort getting its input from" is confusing me today. The shell parses the command line, telling "sort" to gather its info from "dognames". The sort program does open the dognames file to read it. "This is done by the sort process code, making requests to the kernel to read data from the file on the hard drive."

So first I thought the answer was c - opening and reading the file dognames is where sort is getting its input, but now I'm wondering; is "input" referring to "instruction" from the shell, which would make the answer b) "the command line", or is the input here referring to the information read in the 'dognames" file?
janet tuma

Return to CIS 90 - Spring 2009